About Svayam Accessibility Awards
Instituted on 25th October 2010 by Svayam- Global Centre for Inclusive Environments, New Delhi, India, and supported by Jindal SAW Limited, Svayam Accessibility Awards are an effort to promote and recognize the concept of Accessibility and Universal Design in all spheres of our lives to make way for livable communities – in both rural and urban landscape.
The awards are conferred on the organizations and individuals who have shown consistent commitment towards providing accessible infrastructure for all. These awards play a pivotal role in providing the right impetus to the development of inclusive infrastructure and related policies and practices ensuring that accessibility initiatives are sustainable and meaningful.
The awards are an attempt to recognize the efforts of the potential organizations and to encourage them to reach their highest potential to ensure universal accessibility for all. This is also to encourage other organizations to be in pursuit of achieving universal access in their infrastructure, products and services that leads to making a community livable for all.
Thematic Areas Covered:
Currently the Awards cover the following thematic areas/categories:
- Most Accessible Public Transport (whether managed by Government, Private or PPP model)
- Most Accessible Municipality// Local Development Authority
- Most Accessible Hotel/Guest House (Hospitality)
- Most Accessible Tourist Attraction
- Most Accessible Heritage Site (whether managed by Government or private or PPP model)
- Best Practice Awards: In addition to any of the above categories, the awards are open for initiatives taken in promoting inclusive education, inclusive employment, inclusive tourism, inclusive transportation (including para-transit systems), inclusive housing, inclusive designing/invention of products/services, etc.
The selection will take place in two phases, with a pre-selection/screening in the first phase followed by a final selection. Applications that are non-serious, incomplete, not of required merit or not supported by testimonials, etc will be filtered out/ rejected in the first phase itself.
In the final phase, a jury composed of International Panel of Experts will assess the shortlisted entries/ applications on a scale of 1 to 10. The selected finalists in different thematic areas will then be felicitated at the award ceremony.
The marks distribution for evaluation shall be based on: –
|Area of Evaluation||Marks|
|Methodology of the Project||05 marks|
|Project scalability||02 marks|
|Does the project promote independence, mobility & participation of all in civic life||01 mark|
|Were local people/ persons with disabilities/ relevant stakeholders involved in design of concept||01 mark|
|Is the project sustainable||01 mark|
A trophy along with citation in favour of the organization to be conferred upon the winning organization during the Award Ceremony to be held on the side-lines of the TRANSED 2018.
Who Can Apply?
- Organizations- Government or Private
- Municipal Authorities/Development Agencies
- Public Sector Undertakings
- Public Private Partnership models
- Non-Government Organisations
- Proprietorship firms, etc.
Call for Nomination for Svayam Accessibility Awards 2018 for Taiwan are open till 15 September 2018
For call for nomination for agencies located in Taiwan, please visit Here.
- Svayam Accessibility Awards 2012, New Delhi, India
- Svayam Accessibility Awards 2015, Lisbon, Portugal