This section has downloadable documents that may be of interest to researchers, practitioners, students, self-advocates & those who just want to enhance their knowledge on various verticals of inclusion and accessibility. Click on the hyperlinks below to download the PDF documents.
(a) Guideline for Making Religious Places Accessible – Issued by the Office of Chief Commissioner for Persons with Disabilities, Department of Persons with Disabilities, Govt. of India in partnership with Svayam- Global Center for Inclusive Environments. [PDF 51 MB size)
(b) “Bridging the Gap: Your Role in Transporting Children with Disabilities to School in Developing Countries” by Access Exchange International (AEI), USA.
(c) “कड़ी जोड़ने का एक प्रयास – विकासशील देशों में विकलांग (दिव्यांग) बालकों के लिए स्कूल तक का सफर आसान बनाने में आपकी भूमिका” – Hindi Version of “Bridging the Gap……” translated, designed and published by Svayam in association with AEI, USA.
Access Guidelines: Built Environment (India)
- National Building Code of India 2016 (Bureau of Indian Standards, Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Govt. of India, released on 15 Mar 2017) [Complete Code in Volume I and 2 (Parts 0 to 12 – all sections included) available for Sales Counters of BIS [External Weblink] @ INR 13,760/-]
- Harmonized Guidelines & Space Standards for Barrier Free Built Environment for Persons with Disabilities & Elderly Persons (Ministry of Urban Development, Govt. of India, Feb 2016) [PDF Version]
Access Guidelines: Transportation (India)
- Standard for Bus Body Code [External Weblink] for transportation system [CODE OF PRACTICE FOR BUS BODY DESIGN AND APPROVAL (AIS-052 (Revision 1): Aug 2008] along with Amendment No. 6 dt 15 December 2015
- Guidelines for Indian Government Websites [External Weblink] (prepared by NIC and adopted by DARPG (Department of Administrative Reforms and Public Grievances, Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pension, Govt. of India.
- Compliance & Certification Handbook :Guidelines for Indian Government Websites [PDF Version, Size 5.3 MB]
- National Policy on Universal Electronics Accessibility, India [PDF Version, Size 89 KB]
- WCAG / ISO /IEC 40500:2012 [External Weblink] : Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) is developed through the W3C process in cooperation with individuals and organizations around the world, with a goal of proving a single shared standard for web content accessibility that meets the needs of individuals, organizations, and governments internationally. The WCAG documents explain how to make web content more accessible to people with disabilities. Web “content” generally refers to the information in a web page or web application, including natural information such as text, images, and sounds; code or markup that defines structure, presentation, etc. WCAG 2.0 is approved as an ISO standard: ISO/IEC 40500:2012.
- Requirements of Audio and Video Accessibility on the Web [External Weblink]: This provides examples of the accessibility requirements of people with auditory, cognitive, neurological, physical, speech, or visual disabilities to access and comprehend media, including requirements for media formats and media player technologies.
- Amara [External Weblink]: Captions provide access to audio for individuals who are deaf who hard of hearing. You can add captions, sub-titles in to a video with Amara – a free and easy to use online platform.
- Described and Captioned Media [External Weblink]: DCMP provides access to a large collection of accessible media and also provides guides for creating accessible content.
- FANGS [External Weblink]: FANGS is a Firefox add-on. It generates the text that a screen reader would read, giving you a better sense of where information may be missing.
- National Center for Accessible Media [External Weblink]: If you want to learn more about creating accessible media, this is a wonderful collection of tools and resources.
- NVDA [External Weblink]: NVDA is an open-source Windows-based screen reader. Reading your web pages with a screen reader can give you a better sense of how a blind user encounters your site. Mac users can also explore the built-in VoiceOver.
- WAVE toolbar [External Weblink]: This toolbar is a Firefox add-on. It allows you to run error reports and create outlines to get a better sense of a website’s accessibility errors. This tool is helpful not only for assessing your own websites but for learning about what makes a website accessible.
International Covenants on Disability
- UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, 2006,( 68 KB PDF) Click Here for Child Friendly Language) ( 122 KB PDF)
- Optional Protocol to UNCRPD, 2006 ( 15 KB PDF)
- UN Convention on the Rights of the Child, 1990,(113 KB PDF) (Click Here for Child Friendly Language) (9 KB PDF)
- The United Nations Standard Rules for the Equalization of Opportunities for Persons with Disabilities. [External Weblink] [Adopted by the United Nations General Assembly on December 20, 1993]
- UN Principles for the Protection of Persons with Mental Illness and the Improvement of Mental Health Care. [External Weblink] [Adopted by General Assembly resolution 46/119 of 17 December 1991]
- Biwako Millenium Framework.(173 KB PDF)
- Salamanca Statement & Framework for Action 1994.(199 KB PDF)
Statistical Profile 2016 – Disabled Persons in India
- Disabled Persons in India – A Statistical Profile 2016, published by The Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation [PDF Version, Size 6.5 MB]
Indian Laws on Disability
- Rights of Persons with Disabilities Rules 2017 [External Weblink] notified on 15.06.2017
- Enforcement Notification dated 19 April 2017 appointing 19 April 2017 as the date for enforcement of the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act 2016.
- The Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act 2016 (Act 49 of 2016) (received the assent of Hon’ble President of India on 27th Dec 2016 & notified in Gazette of India on 28th Dec 2016 (1163 KB PDF)
- दिव्यांगजन अधिकार अधिनियम 2016 (2016 का अधिनियम संख्यांक 49) (27 दिसंबर 2016 को माननीय राष्ट्रपति महोदय द्वारा अनुमोदित ) (292 KB) PDF
- The National Trust for Welfare of Persons with Autism, Cerebral Palsy, Mental Retardation and Multiple Disabilities Act, 1999 (137 KB PDF)
- The Rehabilitation Council of India Act & Amendment Act – 2000 (196 KB PDF)
- The Persons with Disabilities (Equal Opportunities, Protection of Rights & Full Participation) Act 1995 & Rules 1996 (word format)
Policies on Disability in India
- The National Policy for Persons with Disabilities 2006 (English Version PDF 231 KB)
- राष्ट्रीय विकलाँग जन नीति 2005 (Hindi Version PDF 281 KB)
- Comprehensive Education Scheme for the Disabled Children under Section 30. (20 KB PDF)
- Scheme of Integrated Education for the Disabled Children (IEDC) [External Weblink]
- Making Schools Accessible for Children with Disabilities (PDF 4.09 MB)
- Consolidated Instructions on Reservation for the Persons with Benchmark Disabilities issued vide No. 36035/02/2017-Estt (Res) dated 15 January 2018
- Inclusiveness & Accessibility Index (2016) – A toolkit for organization to promote inclusiveness of persons with disabilities. (1.3 MB PDF)
- Guidelines for providing certain facilities in respect of persons with disabilities who are already employed in Government for efficient performance of their duties – issued by DoPT vide No.36035/3/2013-Estt.(Res) dated 31 March 2014 (160 KB PDF)
- List of Posts Identified as Suitable for Persons with Disabilities – 2007 [External Weblink]
- Instructions on Reservations for Persons with Disabilities in Government Jobs 29.12.2005.(30 KB PDF)
- 10 Days Special Casual Leave for employees with disabilities to participate in Conferences/Seminars/Training/Workshops etc. 14 Nov 2007 (1189 KB PDF)
- Bankers’ Guide for Customers with Special Needs and Persons with Disabilities – Indian Bank’s Association (IBA) (published November 2017)
- RBI Notification dated 19.11.2007 on Operation of Bank Accounts by Guardians appointed under National Trust Act, for Mental disabilities.(111 KB PDF)
- RBI Notification dated 04.06.2008 on Banking Facilities to the Visually Challenged.(9 KB PDF)
- RBI Master Circular on Customer Services 2009.(503 KB PDF)
Housing & Shops
Travel Related Policies/ Concessions/ Schemes
- DGCA CAR Carriage by Air – Persons with Disability and/or Persons with Reduced Mobility dt 28 Feb 2014
- Standard Operating Procedures (SoPs) for Screening of Passengers with Special Needs and Medical Conditions 28 March 2014 [External Weblink]
Mobility and Transportation for Persons with Disabilities
(a) Driving Licences and Registration Certificates for Persons with Disabilities
Notification of Ministry of Transport & Highways No. RT-11021/40/2014-MVL dated 14 June 2016 titled “Procedure for Guidelines for Grant of Driving Licences & Registration Certificates to Differently Abled Persons”
(b) Parking Stickers for Persons with Disabilities
Parking facility is available to physically challenged persons using motor vehicles in No Parking Area. Necessary parking sticker is issued on an application along with disability certificate to DCP/Traffic (VIP), Teen Murti Traffic Lines, Mother Teresa Crescent Road, New Delhi-110011, as per the FAQs on Delhi Police Website.
(c) WHO Guidelines on the Provision of Manual Wheelchairs in Less Resourced Settings. (2409 KB PDF) by World Health Organisation